Sunday, February 13, 2011

Blog Post 4

1. Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?

Scott McLeod works at Iowa State University. He was the co-creator of the video "Did You Kow" that we watched for Blog 2.
I found his approach to the problem in technology a better eye-opening tool for those who oppose certain aspects of technology in schools and don't realize the negative effect of the opposition.
It is easy for someone to oppose something they don't know enough about and this happens often in the debate of technology entering schools. What the opposer doesn't realize it the benefits of the technology and focus on the negative press that surrounds the internet. McLeod uses sarcasm to show how ridiculous some people can be and the importance of them realizing the benefits of technology.

2. The iSchool Initiative

There can be negative and positive aspects to the iSchool initiative. I'm not sure I am completely convinced it is a good idea. I feel some of the information he shared can be implemented now, but I'm not sure a complete replacement of all traditional school processes is necessary. He didn't consider the cost of a replacement itouch if one is stolen or the glass screen in broken, or the cost of the additional applications needed to make his idea work. In theory, it can be a very good idea. The idea of putting text books on the itouch is a very good idea. This eliminates the use of backpacks and lockers, and it keeps all there information together. As long as the children have the itouch they can't forget a book at school. The cost of a graphing application versus a graphing calculator could save a parent volumes and that is another major benefit.
I am very worried about the potential dependency that may develop from implementing the iSchool. Children wouldn't learn to be versatile with them only using the itouch and nothing else in school. When I was in high school, I was required to do some assignments on paper, in the library, or using the internet. It is important for students to be aware of all their resources and know how to use them. The use of the itouch could hinder that.

3. The Lost Generation

I must first talk about the technique used in the video. It really impressed me. I loved the reverse effect that was used. At first, I didn't like the way the video wash just a black and white background with only words on the screen. It didn't really spark my attention until the reversal, which I loved.
The information shared in the video helps one to exam the way our generation is going and the changes that must be made. It is hard to see where our generation is taking the world if we stay on the path we are on now, considering the values I was raised with. It is important for us to realize that we can change the world with our actions and those actions must be assessed.

4. Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

I've never seen anything quite like this! It was hard to believe that so many people that don't know each other could take part in such an exquisite thing! I even went on to watch the introduction video where Whitacre explains where the idea came from. It was hard to believe it all started with a girl that liked his music so much she sent him a video of her singing it.
I felt it necessary to share the introduction video for those who may not have seen it and where wondering just where the idea came from.


5. Teaching in the 21st Century

This is a challenge to all teachers and those aspiring to be teachers. I liked the comparison of teachers to a technological filter. The ideas it gave me really had me thinking of new ways to incorporate the resources of technology and how to teach it. Being a 21st century teacher will require new techniques that include knowing as much about the resources and how to use them best.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely about the iSchool initiative. I am also very hesitant to support implementing an idea like this because, as you mentioned, there could be several complications which the creator if the video did not consider. I also appreciate the fact that you shared the introduction video to the Virtual Choir! It's very interesting to learn the background information on that project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina,

    iSchool has already been very successful in many schools across the country! Actually, they were even mentioned on CNN this past weekend. The iPod Touch/iPad/iPhone (whatever) has so many options and apps that almost NOTHING is obsolete. This is my second semester using nothing but my iPad in my classes, and it has enhanced my my learning in more ways than I can even begin to describe. You say the initiative may result in an unwanted dependency. You want your students to use paper an a pen? You can get a notebook app, purchase a stylus for about $10, and use the iPad as a never ending piece of paper. The iTouch platform also has access to internet, plus millions of books and articles.

    We're shooting towards a greener earth! Soon books, papers, and pens will be obsolete. This is, without a doubt, the direction our society is heading in.

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete