Sunday, May 8, 2011

Special Metaphor Assignment (Blog Post #14)

A clever cartoon illustrating a metaphor

1. I read Johnson's post several times before I ever wrote on it. As I read it I found the anti-testing message and focused so much on it I missed the overall picture. Once the metaphor was pointed out to me, it was completely clear. I know the assignment was designed to make us think just like all the other assignments in this class, but if it asked us to identify the metaphor and write our feelings on it might have put more of us on the right track.

2. I use metaphors all the time! I have to use them most when talking to my boyfriend. When he doesn't understand something I often find ways to compare them to trucks, four wheelers, hunting or something else he is interested in. I talk to my sister the same way. She is an avid horse rider and I often compare life's struggles to her struggles with her horse.

3. Making students aware when they use a metaphor is a good place to start when helping students to understand metaphors. Finding ways to use them in assignments is another way. Students always love a good game. Using metaphors in a scavenger hunt would be a fun way to help students to learn metaphors.

4. We use metaphors because they eliminate communication barriers. It establishes common ground in subjects that are difficult to explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment