Saturday, February 5, 2011

Blog Post 3

What are the possibilities offered by technology?



















1. Michael Wesch: A vistion of Students Today
After watching this video, I feel like I can relate. The fact that a student's daily task load totals 26.5 hours seems very correct. I have to multi-task in nearly everything I do in order to get everything I need to do in one day accomplished. I was able to fit my role as a college student into many of the other statistics too.
If I were to add anything I would also add statistics of how much time being spent on homework and exercise, both are part of the average students daily life. I would also like to approach the issue of some teachers feeling their class is the only thing we partake in during the entire semester. I often struggle to have enough balance of my time between class time, homework, and my work, not even considering my scarce social life. It is very hard to be well-rounded enough to enjoy the experience when so much is asked of us. I feel it is also important to stress college students financial situations. Some students are lucky to still be supported by their parents, but for those working "part-time" at minimum wage in an attempt to support themselves it is an everyday struggle.

2. "It's not about the Technology"
I could not agree more with Kelly Hines. While I know that technology is a major tool for the future, it is important to realize it is just that a tool. Many teachers have began to hide behind technology as the solution to education problems when really it is only a tool to help solve the problem and the teachers are the solution. The solution to the problems in the education system is the passion of teachers. If the teachers don't truly want the children to learn, the children won't try.
I don't have enough fingers on my hand to count up the teachers that I've seen come to class and not appear any more interested than the students. I have no will to learn in a classroom when the teacher stands in front of the class appearing to not want to be there. Teachers need to grasp that going over material is not the only aspect of there job. It is also important to get the students involved. In my opinion, a student's involvement is the most important role in a classroom, considering they are who is responsible for learning.

3. "Is It Okay to be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?"
I find it completely ironic that I wrote my opinions on technology only being a tool then read Fisch's blog to only see that he has written the same thing. He is absolutely write right that even though it is only a tool, it is still indispensable. I do feel his comparison of a technologically illiterate teacher to a teacher who can't read or write is a bit extreme, but it is necessary.
The student's teachers are preparing them for a future where they must be technologically literate, and if the teacher isn't how can the student learn to be? Although teachers must teach it not hide behind it. Technology cannot teach the students for the teacher; the teacher must teach the technology to the students.

4. Gary Hayes Social Media Count
As a future English teacher, I think the use of technology recorded on the social media count is potentially destructive. Children are using technology in a negative way and it is detrimental to their education. They are not spelling words correctly and are drastically losing communication skills. They uses shorthand to communicate instead of using proper English when they are sending SMS messages and making comments on facebook. It has also become apparent that children struggle to have face to face communication when they are able to use channels of technology instead.
I do believe it will be important to incorporate these forms of technology into the class room but it is important to be sure they are used in a productive way. It is important to break the negative habits they have developed and replace them with uses that will help improve their education.

2 comments:

  1. Christina,
    I really agree with how you feel about many teachers feeling that their class is the only thing we are dealing with in life right now. Not only should they consider the workload of other classes we are foced to deal with but the other stresses of college students such as jobs we need to support us. I think that your post is very well written and your thoughts are made very clear through this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we all need some type of balance in our lives. If we don't, then there are so many things that we will miss.

    I think you are right aboutKelly Hines's article about knowing where to draw the line on tools. There are things that only good teachers can teach you.

    Good post!

    Keep up the good work,

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete